Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Wearing Advertising

The idea of paying to advertise a company on one's body just goes against everything that makes sense.
Googled image...

OK, so that's one I find particularly obnoxious. Just my opinion. But once upon a time, there was a way to wear company logos in style. Not a T-shirt in sight!

Just check this out, from a 1940 Life magazine. This article shows some of the "latest" fabrics available:



Tasteful? Why not? Some logos are, after all, works of art, designed by artists, and beloved by consumers. These fabrics aren't screaming a brand-name, but using the artwork as...artwork. Again, why not? And what I wouldn't give for the Coty powder puffs fabric on the first page! Sigh...

So, when did we stop using artful logos, so artful that they would go just fine on a dress or scarf? Hooters? No way. McDonald's? Uh uh. John Deere? It exists, but not for me. IBM? Really? Actually, Apple comes to mind. I'd wear that, maybe. 

So, what do you think? Would you wear these? What about modern stuff? Do you know where I can find some Coty fabric? Maxwell House? Just askin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment