Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Treasure Tuesdays--Rotary Telephones

I have an addiction to old telephones. I love a dial wheel on a phone, even if there doesn't seem to be anyone to dial these days, what with texting and e-mailing.

I know that a lot of people have gotten rid of their land lines, but i cant imagine doing that. I love the weight of the old phones and the jangling rings. What about you? Does the idea of an old phone make you think this:

Carol Lombard (from Tumblr.)

Or do you think of this? Especially if you ever had to get along on a party line!

from Post-Gazette.com


I have this solid 1970s phone in classic beige in my Etsy shop. Even though there's no call to use the phone like there used to be (remember all those hours on the phone in your teen years? I never see my kids on the phone...and it's weird!), I love my telephones. I love the weight of them, the jangling rings of them. I know a lot of folks are getting rid of their land lines, but I just can't imagine it. I will soldier on, and pretend that I look like Ida Lupino:

 
which I don't... But I can dream! And on a completely unrelated note, if you want to see some great World War II-era photos like this one of Ms. Lupino, check out this Atlantic article here.  Don't miss photo 19, where Veronica Lake uses her famous hair to show women the importance of the head scarf! Lest you think the era was all about women looking pretty and men being brave soldiers, these photos will change your mind.
 
If you love the photos, why don't you pick up the phone and tell someone else about them? Happy chatting! 

2 comments:

  1. We still have our black wall-mount rotary in the kitchen. You know, the kind with the 20 foot cord? I can turn off the tv, reheat my coffee in the microwave or (back in the day) wipe a little hiney in the bathroom. Even if we do cancel our landline, the phone will stay!

    PS. Mentioned you in my blog today over at Hometown Victory Girls. :)

    http://hometownvictorygirls.blogspot.com/2013/02/bring-out-your-hats.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a 50s cream rotary phone I bought on etsy last year - the kids answer it as if they are Butlers, with "hello, Clark residence" - we all love it!

    ReplyDelete